Who: Students Grades 9 to 11
When: October 2021 (Pending travel restrictions)
Where: Des Moines, Iowa
Time: 4 Days
Registration: Closed for 2021
Every year, we partner with 4-H Manitoba to send two high school students with an interest in global food security and agriculture and their teachers/mentors to represent Manitoba at the four-day Global Youth Institute conference in Des Moines, Iowa in October. Do you know a student who should attend? Encourage them to apply now!
HOW GLOBAL YOUTH INSTITUTE WORKS
- The selected student and teacher/mentor receive airfare, accommodation and all GYI conference expenses.
- At the conference, each student will present a brief overview of a 5-page research paper they have written to a group of peers and experts.
- After they return, selected students and teachers/mentors will share their experience with their high school, a sponsor, and two other organizations.
At the conference, you and your students will have the opportunity to:
- Explore issues and current research in ag and global food security
- Discover opportunities to make a difference in the world
- Connect with other student leaders to share ideas, identify solutions and build lasting friendships
- Interact with World Food Prize laureates, global leaders, innovators and entrepreneurs working to end hunger and poverty
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply for GYI 2022 in December 2021. (Applications for 2021 are closed)
- Review the Student/Mentor Handbook for details on how to apply.
- Agriculture in the Classroom-Manitoba and 4-H Manitoba will interview applicants and select two students and their teachers/mentors to represent Manitoba at the GYI.
- Both students are required to research a global issue and write a five-page paper under the supervision of their teacher/mentor and submit the paper to the World Food Prize Foundation by July 1, 2021. (Check the Handbook for description of paper requirements and great research and writing tips!)
FIND OUT MORE
The Global Youth Institute is held concurrently with the World Food Prize and the Borlaug Dialogues International Symposium.
- Global Issues
Made possible with financial support from Bayer Canada and Manitoba Canola Growers Association.
This trip has shaped not only the rest of my education but my future agriculture career. I would encourage any eligible students to apply for the Global Youth Institute trip as it opens so many opportunities and connections all around the globe.
Student (Alice Rooke)
I cannot express how wonderful the experience was. It was truly a life changing experience for myself personally and professionally.
Teacher (D. Duncalfe)
Going to GYI made me realize that I can do more for the Ag industry locally and globally than I ever imagined. I met so many people and was overwhelmed with the number of youth coming into our industry. Apply for this trip! It’s life changing!
Student (Taylor Carlson)