Bring agriculture to life in your classroom this March with Canadian Agriculture Literacy Month (CALM). This year we will provide a virtual classroom visit* from a farmer or agriculture professional, a hands-on agriculture activity and an agriculture themed book for your classroom. Your students will build stronger connections to the food they eat and develop a deeper appreciation for the role agriculture plays in their lives, while engaging with curricular outcomes.
Who: Grade 1 to 6 students
When: March 2022
Where: Your classroom
How: We match you with a volunteer and you pick a virtual platform (Zoom, Teams, Skype, FaceTime, Google) and date with your volunteer
Time: 30-60 minutes
Registration: January 7 - Feb 4, 2022
Les visites virtuelles de bénévoles francophones sont disponibles mais ne sont pas garanties (selon la disponibilité des bénévoles).
For 2022, all teachers will receive a:
- Book: grade-appropriate and focussed on seeds, plants, and what foods we derive from them. (FR/EN)
- Grade 1, 2 - a mini seed growing kit (1/student), for root viewing and tasty eating. (FR/EN)
- Grade 3+ - a brand new MB Seed Kit (5 sets of 15 MB seeds/class) with hands-on activities to learn about the MB crops that provide us with food, feed, fibre, biofuel and household items. (FR/EN)
- Teacher Guide: instructions and curricular connections to help you use the activities in your lessons. (EN)
- Video: short video on the importance of seeds from MB growers, scientists and those who are working to safeguard and improve food security. (EN)
- Live Virtual Farm Tour: meet a MB seed grower and processor and tour their farm. Mid-March. (EN)
*Don’t have internet capacity at your school for a virtual visit?
No problem! Register and we will send CALM 2022 resources to your class.
New for 2022
When you register for CALM, you will first need to create your new teacher profile. Then you will log in to your new profile to register for CALM. Save your username and password to register for all our programs.
I have taken for granted that kids know about agriculture just because my family and I do. This program is essential!!!
My students were fully engaged. They asked a million questions and our volunteer was more than happy to answer.
CALM is made possible thanks to financial support from Agriculture in the Classroom Canada and Cargill.